Saturday, February 22, 2014

Bali to Bangkok, Part 3

Bali to Bangkok continues (Read Part 1Part 2)...
Off I went to locate my bag. The information counter misunderstood me; I should have just shown her my flight number on my baggage claim. As it was not at what I discovered to be an empty carousel. Rechecking at yet another Information stand, I was to then find that my bag was at the complete opposite end from where I now stood. So off I went not yet realizing what valuable time this had cost me.
I arrived to see only one lonely bag left slowly orbiting around waiting for me to reunite with it. Grabbing it up and locating a baggage cart, off I went to find the departure floor and check what I then presumed to be one of several airline counters which had flights to Phuket. The departure floor is up three stories. There is a lift that will accommodate the baggage carts, but the line for this was too long. I abandoned the cart and lugged my bag up the escalator. At last inside the departure area and to inquire as to when would be my soonest opportunity to grab a flight to Phuket. Soon I realize that whereas last year there were many companies; there are now none. What?! I go to Information, and ask what happened to all the airline counters that were just there last year. Gone. Now there are only two airlines that have flights to Phuket. Thai and Bangkok airlines. Thai ticket sales, I was informed, was just across the many check-in counters at the end of Isle N. Above that up the elevator is Bangkok. Off I go to test my luck, which has not been proven to be so kind thus far.
Southeast Asia Exploration XplorMor Inc
Bali to Bangkok by Robert Varney
I worked my way through the throngs of people checking in, until I was able to cover the distance between the entrances of the check in area and the Thai Air ticketing office. The ticketing office resembled a bank of tellers. One was then obliged to use a small machine to get a number and watch and wait until your number came up on a screen informing you as to which of the several ticketing agents were free to accommodate you. There were several people before me, and then at last my number came up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment! Happy, safe travels....
XplorMor Team