Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Big Sur and Pine Ridge Trail

When I lived on the Monterey Peninsula the Pine Ridge Trail into the Ventana Wilderness was one of my favorite hikes to quickly get to a remote area. A downside is that trail access is easy, Big Sur is popular, and California trails are notoriously crowded. That means that on weekends, when the weather is good, there will be others on the trail with you. If you have the gear and are willing to brave winter weather the trail could be yours alone.

Big Sur and Pine Ridge Trail, Wythe's Xplorer Journal, XplorMor, Stream, Nature Photography, Big Sur, California, USA

One recent December I had a weekend without plans and decided to head to Big Sur for a solo hike and camp in Ventana Wilderness. As it turned out, a cold front was predicted to move through on Friday night, with rain, wind, and a drop in temperature. My philosophy with weather is summed up by explorer Ranulph Fiennes who reportedly said, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing." Admittedly, winter in Big Sur is not severe, but I did pack my winter sleeping bag and an extra fleece layer.

Big Sur and Pine Ridge Trail, Wythe's Xplorer Journal, XplorMor, Stream, Nature Photography, Big Sur, California, USA

I arrived at Big Sur Station in mid-afternoon, packed up, and started to hike in. There were about a dozen younger folks hiking out with dogs, guitars, and ukuleles – I guessed that I had missed a good party. My goal was Barlow Flats which was seven miles in but... Continue reading... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment! Happy, safe travels....
XplorMor Team