Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bali to Bangkok, Part 5

The final chapter of Bali to Bangkok (Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4)...
Soon I found myself showered and with a full stomach slipping into this big soft bed covered and comfy, relaxed and drifting off into a deep undisturbed sleep. It was early around 7:30 or 8:00 P.M. and I was ready to drift away till morning. Alas, Heaven turned to Hell at about 9:30 P.M. when a band fired up in the bar below me and at screaming Mack 5 decibels. The Thai’s have only one setting on their amps, all the way up. This went on until 3:00 A.M. With ear plugs and my head buried inside double pillows there was no relief. I began to feel like I was a prisoner at Guantanamo being tortured into signing a confession for having committed some heinous terrorist act.
In the morning I lay there in bed trying to recover a little bit from the torture I had just endured. I sat up and without my glasses I saw what looked to be on the snow white sheet a small black bug, looking like an ant I squished it with my thumb blood the size of a dime dominated the spot where this little creature had once been, bright red blood, my blood. Then I spotted another squished to as well and again bright red blood. Bed bugs! In all my travels I have not before encountered these vile creatures.
Bali to Bangkok by Robert Varney XplorMor Inc
Bali to Bangkok by Robert Varney
That was it, with bloodshot eyes I staggered down the stairs to the front desk and explained to the desk manager that there was no way that I could possibly endure such another night.  And, that regrettably as lovely as the room was, it was never going to give me a restful night, something I now desperately need. I began to feel like a refugee fleeing from a war zone as I staggered across the street to yet a third guest house to inquire as to the availability of a room far from the little bar, bed bugs and loud music. I was shown on the third floor in the back a small but seemingly adequate room and the price was within reason so I now have moved for the third time in as many nights. Home at last?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment! Happy, safe travels....
XplorMor Team